According to veterinarian Dr. Ray Cahill, as little as one ounce of cocoa mulch can get a 10-pound dog very sick. Cocoa mulch is made from cocoa bean shells which can have the same toxic effect on a dog as a high dose of chocolate. Symptoms can include vomiting and diarrhea as well as neurologic symptoms.
A few more cautionary words…when treating your yard with fertilizers or weed killers:
Keep your pets off the lawn for 24-48 hours.
Remove all pet toys, bowls etc. before treatment is applied.
Be aware of the potential side effects of the products being applied.
For more info on this subject visit aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control.
Have a fabulous Memorial Day weekend!